The Generals have a chance to make history Monday evening in their game against Northview in the OHSAA Sylvania District Quarterfinal game. Anthony Wayne has never won a 2nd-round game nor beaten a team from the Red division in the state tournament.
There was a 4-year run when AW faced a Red team in the quarterfinals:
- 2013: 5-1 loss to Bowling Green
- 2012: 7-0 loss to St. Francis
- 2011: 11-3 loss to Northview
- 2010: 12-2 loss to St. Francis
Based on our research, the only time a White division team has beaten a Red division team in the quarterfinals was when Perrysburg defeated Bowling Green in 2008 (after a victory over Findlay in the first round).
The Generals’ best chance to defeat a Red team in the districts was in 2009, when AW lost to Findlay 6-3 in the opening round after beating them in a tournament earlier in the season.
In addition to 2011, Anthony Wayne has played Northview one other time in the districts: a 10-0 loss in 2004 (in first-round play).
With the 5-2 win over Perrysburg on Thursday, the Generals have won a district game in 7 of the past 18 years, for a record of 7-18.
Anthony Wayne’s state tournament results:
- 2016: L 6-5 (OT) Perrysburg
- 2015: L 5-4 Perrysburg
- 2014: L 13-5 Clay
- 2013: W 11-1 Springfield, L 5-1 Bowling Green
- 2012: W 8-2 Clay, L 7-0 St. Francis
- 2011: W 8-0 Springfield, L 11-3 Northview
- 2010: W 8-4 Whitmer, L 12-2 St. Francis
- 2009: L 6-3 Findlay
- 2008: L 7-2 Maumee
- 2007: L 7-2 Maumee
- 2006: W 5-4 Fremont Ross, L 8-1 Southview
- 2005: L 22-0 Bowling Green
- 2004: L 10-0 Northview
- 2003: L 10-0 St. Francis
- 2002: L 4-2 Maumee
- 2001: L 3-2 (OT) Ottawa Hills
- 2000: W Springfield, L Team Unknown
- 1999: L 5-3 Central Catholic
State tournament results from the OHSAA Ice Hockey archives.